Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Monotonix

I am not going to write about last nights Monotonix show at the Wonder Ballroom because it was crazier then bat shit on rye bread. Nope. I am because I have zippo to do at work today and I at least like to look busy. Monotonix is an Israeli band from Tel Aviv The trio reminded me of typical 70’s rock bands with the long hair and larger stache’s.

 

I can’t quite reconstruct everything accurately as it happened so quick. Monotonix does not use the stage they just set-up on the floor. About one minute into their first song the guitarist plowed down both fence dividers that separated the all ages crowd (all 5 of them)  and the over 21 crowd and fell down right in front of me knocking down a lady next to me. I helped the guitarist back up to his feet then helped the chick who never let go of her Pabst that was now mangled and the contents foaming out all over her clothes. Turning back around to the front of the stage (on the floor) I had a massive bass drum coming right at me crowd surfing style. The bass drum was re-situated in the over 21 area with the guitar player now also keeping the beat. Meanwhile the singer was busy hugging people, pulling his shorts into his butt crack and knocking down the dividers. I couldn’t decide what to watch the band or the staff/security trying to keep the dividers standing up as soon as they got it back up they would knock it down again. The next song the entire drum kit was slid around towards the middle of the room. Other highlights include someone grabbing a full 55 gallon garbage can from the bar and dumping it on the band or the further re-location of the drum kit up in balcony with the singer jumping off the balcony into the crowd for a finale. 

 

The Silver Jews headlined the show so I stuck around for a few songs not really getting into them so I bailed. All I can say is a tobaccoburst SG just looks weird and why an SG would be selected for this slow a tempo of music?

No comments: