Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Berry Picking



Last Sunday afternoon we drove up to Sauvie Island to get some fresh raspberries and enjoy the scenery. Our first stop was Kruger’s farm. They only had a couple of pints left of picked raspberries but had U-pick. No thanks I will gladly pay more not to have to pick berries. (I picked a lot of berries as a child) I did buy three pints of there Kotata; basically a Marionberry but cultivated to better handle the cold. Leaving Kruger’s we headed North on the island to explore the other farms in the area. We stopped briefly at this crazy guys Lavender farm and showed Eli his chickens and sheep while briefly gazing at his lavender. I wanted to ask him about this little statue of a chicken with no head next to the chicken house but I knew we would get suckered into buying some lavender from him so we just left. The next stop was Columbia Farms which was once a large dairy operation now a large berry and vegetable farm. Of course they also were out of picked raspberries. We reluctantly decided to go pick our own as it was getting late in the day and the odds of anywhere else having any already picked was slim to none. I don’t think I have picked a flat of berries since I was a teenager on the farm.


"This is a hoot"










"Do I look Like I am having fun?"


Yep, picking berries still sucks but the reward of fresh berry cobbler or shortcake makes it all worthwhile. Here is the cobbler my lovely wife made out of the blackberries. Awesome.






























Now I am getting a hankering for my mom’s blackberry dumplings. They are freaking awesome.

No comments: